Dos And Don'ts Of Donating Blood On World Blood Donor Day
Blood donation is a noble cause that saves literally thousands of lives every year. A Red Cross study claims that a single act of blood donation can help save upto three lives. Today on World Blood Donor Day, let us learn the dos and don'ts of blood donation to ensure safety.
- The first rule of blood donation is very simple - never donate blood on an empty stomach. You must eat properly atleast 2-3 hours before you are going to donate blood. This is to make sure that the food is properly digested. Donating too soon after eating can lead to nauseousness.
- You are allowed to donate blood only once every three months to make sure that your own health is in order. Eating iron rich meal helps.
- Drink a lot of water and juices before you are done with donating blood, but not immediately. Take a few minutes to relax. Do not smoke or drink alcohol immediately before donating blood.
- Drink a lot of water and juices before you are done with donating blood, but not immediately. Take a few minutes to relax. Do not smoke or drink alcohol immediately after donating blood. Yes, you have to continue this practice both before and after the blood donation.
- Avoid coffee and other soda drinks after the donation because caffeinated drinks leads to loss of fluids in the body. Avoid for atleast 8-10 hours.
- Regular donors need to take care of their Vitamin B needs. Food items that are rich in folic acids is a good way moving forward.
Stay safe and stay healthy.