Female Student Dies Due To Overdose Of Iron Tablets

By: Natasha Mahesh, 2016-05-11 10:45:00.0Category:  Others
News Image

A class 9 student of a Delhi government school died on Sunday due to internal bleeding caused by an overdose of iron-folic acid tablets. Sapna Pal reportedly popped 50-60 tablets. According to officials from the Directorate of Education, the girl had been given eight tablets on May 4 along with other students at Sarvodaya Kanya Vidyakaya in Wazirpur and complained of stomach ache the next day. The officials also said that the eight tablets were to be consumed over eight weeks during summer holiday — one every week. The iron-folic acid tablets are given once a week to 13 crore school-going children from class VI-XII to combat adolescent anaemia under the Weekly Iron and Folic Acid Supplementation (WIFS) programme. When the girl complained of stomach ache, the family suspected it was menstrual pain and bleeding and she was taken to a neighbourhood doctor, who put her on glucose after which her hands started to swell. Dr. Seth said that she was suspected iron toxicity and was given chelation. Despite their best efforts, the girl died due to liver failure and bleeding in her stomach and intestines. The Delhi government has ordered an inquiry by SDM Saraswati Vihar into the death. Iron-folic acid tablets are considered to be safe if given in proper dose. The medicine is routinely given to pregnant women too. “The question is how did the girl get hold of so many tablets? The hospital has registered a medico-legal case and an autopsy has been performed. The reports are awaited,” said Dr Seth.

Hocalwire Assignments

    Similar News